Stress Management (Cape Town)
What is Stress?
Stress is a normal psycho-physiological response to a perceived threat. This is commonly known as the bodies "fight-or-flight" response or stress response.
The stress response is the body's natural way of protecting you. The stress response can save your life. This is a good thing when we are in danger. The problems with stress start when we start feeling stress about non-life threatening situations. We need to differentiate between "good" stress and "bad" stress. A certain level of stress keeps us going, that is EU stress. Without eustress, we might never get off the couch!
There are many causes of stress. Some major external stressors include the following:
- Spouse's death
- Marriage separation
- Jail term
- Death of a close relative
- Injury or illness
- Getting married
- Losing your job
- Marriage reconciliation
- Building a house
How Does Stress Affect Your Health?
Did you know that many people feel some level of stress, and they do not believe it affects their body negatively? This is interesting because studies have shown that two-thirds of all visits to the family doctor are due to stress-related symptoms.
That's not all. Recent evidence also shows that stress could be a large contributor to heart disease and cancer, the leading causes of death.
The chronic effects of stress are many. Let’s go over some of them.
- It can cause headaches, back pain, chronic fatigue and digestive problems.
- It can affect your immune system, making it harder to fight off infection.
- It can increase the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- It triggers addictive behaviour, such as smoking, alcoholism, drug abuse, overeating. These can clearly lead to death and disability.
- It can leave you vulnerable to Anxiety and Depression.
- It can cause infertility.
- It can speed up the aging process.
- It can cause a number of medical conditions, including obesity, Auto immune Diseases, skin conditions and sleep disturbances.
Do you know what the most searched keywords on Google are? Stress and depression. Obviously, modern society is struggling with these things. My website gets more hits for Stress, Depression, Anger and Anxiety than any other keyword. I know that people struggle with these issues. I want to help.
If you feel stressed or anxious, it is possibly affecting your mental and physical health. When we get stressed, our breathing becomes faster and shallower. When we do this a lot, it causes more stress and disease in the body and mind. Being able to control your breathing consciously can help reduce stress and its negative effects on the body. This will keep you healthier, both mentally and physically.
One option is to learn how to engage the Relaxation Response. This is easily done with the StressEraser. It will help you learn to relax your body and your mind. Contact me if you would like to learn how to erase your stress using my Stress Management Program.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a warning from the unconscious mind to Focus on What you Want. Anxiety is a form of stress about a specific event in the future. It may be about so many events that one could even feel a general sense of anxiety. This can paralyze and totally debilitate people.
What is Depression?
I used to suffer from depression for over 15 years and today my life is radically different. I used to wonder things like, "Am I good enough?", "Why me?", Is this all there is to life?" The list goes on and on. Many of you may have asked similar questions. The more I learned about how my mind works, the more I realized I had to power to control my state of being. Once you begin to take control over your feelings, life becomes exhilarating. You are inspired to live the life you dream about.
Common Signs of Depression include:
- Persistent sadness, anxiety, or "empty" moods, moodiness;
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies, including sex;
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism;
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, self-hatred, self-loathing;
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping;
- Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain;
- Decreased energy, fatigue and feeling run down;
- Increased use of alcohol and drugs;
- Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts;
- Restlessness, irritability, hostility;
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions;
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain.
Depression is experienced differently by different people; this list is certainly not comprehensive.
Depression and Negative Emotions
We all have events in our lives that cause us to experience a negative emotion when we remember the memory. These memories need to be processed. Your unconscious mind represses those negative memories until it determines that you are ready to process them. Often we think we've dealt with our past; all we've really done is bury it inside our bodies. This has huge impact on our mental, emotional and physical health.
It takes energy to repress memories and keep them locked away, energy that could be used for much more creative things. We don’t realize that we haven’t processed these emotions sometimes. It usually hits us when our life seems to be moving smoothly along. Then WHAM! Your unconscious mind presents you with some emotional baggage to resolve. This usually creates more stress for you. It can be quite frustrating and confusing.
The way to succeed is to process these memories. I can help you do this with my program.
When you learn about my method, you will learn several things. You will learn about yourself. You will discover why you should let go of your emotional baggage. Then you will soon realize how magnificent you really are. You realize that you are capable of things you only could imagine before. You have within you the unlimited potential of creation. You can tap into it using the lesson I will share with you in my integrative therapy program. You can set yourself free.
What can be done about Stress, Anxiety and Depression?
There are many ways to deal with or get rid of unwanted stress, anxiety and depression. Some people turn to medication; others turn to alternative and natural therapies, some people run away and some people actually look for the root cause and deal with the issues. In my program we work on uncovering and resolving the root causes of your depression and stress and gaining knowledge, insight and wisdom.
Causes of Stress
What causes stress depends, at least in part, on your perception of it. What causes stress for some people may not faze others. For example, going to work in the morning may make some people anxious or tense because they worry about the traffic; while other people may find the trip relaxing because it allows them time to enjoy listening to music while they drive.
Your perceptions are formed by the filters in your unconscious mind; your values, beliefs, past experiences and decisions. Situations and pressures that cause stress are known as stressors. We usually think of stressors as being negative, but they can also be positive like getting married or buying a house.
My focus is on helping you with the internal aspects of stress by learning how the unconscious mind works and how to instruct it. The unconscious mind has a huge impact on how you experience every single thing. Over time our unconscious mind becomes conditioned with values and beliefs that don't support our highest potential. This happens due to our past experiences.
Are you interested in learning more? My one-on-one integrative life coaching program equips you to be the master of stress and your life. Together, I will show you how to release all your past negative unresolved emotions and gain insight and wisdom. I will teach you strategies on how to use the mind in the most creative way and help you focus on what you want. I will show you how to create and stay in a highly resourceful state of being and state of mind whenever you like.
The interventions and programmes offered are informed by several models and methodologies:
- Jungian Analytical Psychology: Individuation and wholeness through the integration of unconscious forces and motivations underlying human behaviour.
- Positive Psychology: a scientific study of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive.
- Integral Theory An area of discourse emerging from the theoretical psychology and philosophy of Ken Wilber, a body of work that has evolved in phases.
- Flow Theory: Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of an activity.
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness involves a) the self-regulation of attention so that it is maintained on immediate experience, thereby allowing for increased recognition of mental events in the present moment. b) The particular orientation toward experience in the present moment, an orientation that is characterized by curiosity, openness, and acceptance.
- The Relaxation Response A term coined by Herbert Benson and a book of the same name in which he explains that the relaxation response is a state of deep rest. This rest changes the physical and emotional responses to stress, the opposite of the fight or flight response."
I have developed a unique process. I call it integrative life coaching. I have taken the best these many programs have to offer and integrated them into my own approach, an approach of exploration and awareness. In this way, I can assist you in achieving your goals in the most efficient manner. I can also share with you a wide variety of techniques and programs. Together, we will create a life therapy program that works specifically for you and your needs.
We will work on your ability to control various processes. Processes that can be controlled include brainwaves, muscle tone, skin conductance, vagus nerve, heart rate and pain perception. Research has been shown to improve health or cognitive performance and emotional wellbeing. Evidence based research has found protocols for the effective treatment of insomnia, migraines, cardiac disease, pain, anxiety, asthma, diabetes, depression and any other stress related pathology. We will work to discover your challenges and your goals. We will find the best way for you to overcome your challenges and achieve your goals.
Contact me if you want to learn how to release unresolved negative emotions, delete limiting beliefs, control you state of being and create a positive compelling future.